In today’s digital world, businesses must stay on top of the latest marketing trends to remain competitive. One of the most effective marketing tools today is the VSL.
Let’s explore why VSLs are an effective marketing tool and why your business needs them now.
What is a VSL, and How Does It Work?
VSL is an acronym for a video sales letter. It’s a sales pitch in the form of a video, a combination of persuasive text and relevant images. It is typically 5 to 20 minutes long. VSLs usually feature a voice-over or on-screen presenter and visuals illustrating the product or service. The VSL’s primary goal is to persuade the viewer to take action, usually by purchasing the promoted product or service.
The structure of a VSL is similar to the traditional sales letter. It begins with a hook – an attention-grabbing statement that draws viewers in. The script then takes the viewer on a journey from problem to solution. A proper VSL uses social proof, especially testimonials from satisfied customers. Finally, the VSL concludes with a call-to-action (CTA) that encourages viewers to purchase the product or service.
The Importance of VSLs for Small and Medium Businesses
Small and medium businesses (SMBs) may not have the resources to invest in traditional marketing methods such as print or TV advertising. VSLs are a cost-effective way to reach a large audience and promote a product or service. In addition, you can share online videos on multiple platforms, including social media, YouTube, email marketing, and website landing pages.
Another value of VSLs for SMBs is they can focus on specific market segments or different prospects depending on their buying journey. Using data analytics, SMBs can identify their target market and create VSLs that appeal directly to that audience. Marketers get more bang for their marketing buck, reaching those most likely to purchase.
Consumer Behavior and The Power of Video
According to a HubSpot study, consumers increasingly rely on brand marketing videos to research products and make purchase decisions. Wyzowl’s survey claimed that 84% of consumers made a purchase after watching a brand’s video.
A quality VSL script and video provide a visual and auditory experience that can evoke emotions. They can create a lasting impression and persuade the audience to take action.
9 Reasons Why VSLs Are an Effective B2B Marketing Tool
Here are 9 main reasons why you should consider VSLs for your business:
1. Captures attention – In a world where people get bombarded with information, VSLs capture attention and stand out. Combining visuals, audio, and storytelling engages viewers, keeping them interested in the message.
2. Builds trust – A VSL can build trust with the audience by showing potential clients how the business can help them. Trust factors include client testimonials, social proof, and frequently asked questions.
3. Increases conversions – In an A/B test comparing an existing landing page against the same page with the video embedded, the page with the video converted 31.97% more traffic than the page without the video.
4. Showcases benefits – Video sales letters show benefits by highlighting the audience’s pain points and presenting solutions. They establish credibility and authority, provide evidence, create a sense of urgency, or offer incentives.
5. Creates an emotional connection – VSLs connect with viewers emotionally by addressing their needs and concerns, appealing to their emotions, and delivering a solution. The script structure of a VSL involves grabbing attention, identifying the problem, explaining the importance of solving it, establishing credibility, and offering proof.
6. Highly engaging – The attention span of U.S. consumers is a dismal 5 seconds. The combination of visuals, sound, and engaging storytelling cuts through the distractions to deliver a compelling marketing message. VSLs can visually demonstrate a product or service, making it easier for consumers to understand its features and benefits.
7. Shareable and memorable – Exciting videos can generate up to 1,200% more shares than comparable text and image content. Consumers can easily share videos on social media, increasing a company’s reach. Good storytelling and visuals create an emotional connection, making VSLs memorable.
8. Offers flexibility – VSLs offer great flexibility for marketers. They can embed VSLs in any medium, including social media, landing pages, emails, and the website. Creating separate videos allows you to target different audiences with the same product.
9. Provides measurable results – VSLs provide measurable results regarding how many people watched the video, clicked the link, and bought the product or service being promoted. This data can be analyzed to determine the video’s ROI (Return on Investment), making it a measurable marketing strategy.
Video sales letters showcase benefits, create an emotional connection, and provide measurable results that can help businesses improve their marketing strategy. They offer flexibility and are highly engaging, targeted, shareable, and memorable. VSLs have proven to increase conversions and ROI.
2 Successful Video Sales Letter Examples
There are many examples of successful VSLs in various industries. Here are 2 of them:
1. One example of a successful VSL is Dollar Shave Club’s “Our Blades Are F***ing Great” video. The video showcases the benefits of the subscription service humorously and engagingly. The video went viral and has over 29 million views, helping the company gain many new customers.
2. Another example is Salesforce’s “The Story of Sales” video. The video uses storytelling to showcase the challenges faced by sales professionals and how Salesforce can help. The video has over 600,000 views on YouTube and social media.
How to Create a Compelling VSL – Tips for Effective Copywriting
Creating a compelling video requires effective VSL copywriting skills, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it yourself. Here are some of the elements to keep in mind:
- Start with a good hook – grab the viewer’s attention from the first sentence.
- Focus on benefits – explain how the product or service benefits the viewer. Tell them how their life will improve after buying your solution.
- Use social proof – include testimonials from satisfied customers to build trust.
- Create a sense of urgency – encourage the viewer to take action now.
- Keep it simple – avoid jargon and complicated language.
- Use relevant visuals – Demonstrate the product or service in action.
- End with a strong CTA – The point of the video is to get the viewer to take action or buy now.
To create an effective VSL, you must know your target audience. Create a message highlighting the product’s advantages, including a clear call to action, and make it engaging.
The Impact of VSLs On Conversion Rates and Target Market
Video is essential to B2B marketing, according to a poll of 300 decision-makers from the U.S. and UK. 95% of these B2B buyers said the video was crucial in their decision to move forward with a purchase.
The three main impacts are:
- Increased sales: Up to 80% of marketers have reported increased sales using VSLs in their sales and marketing strategies.
- Preferred by buyers: VSLs are becoming increasingly popular as people prefer watching videos over reading text. They are informative and entertaining, creating an emotional connection and credibility.
- Effective in driving sales: VSLs offer solutions to problems, making them effective. 92% of video marketers surveyed say that video gives them a positive ROI.
A Powerful Marketing Tool To Generate Leads, Engage Customers, and Build Brand Loyalty
Compelling explainer videos can keep B2B and B2C audiences interested and engaged. A quality video helps potential customers visualize themselves using the product or service. Consumer behavior changes almost daily, and video is one channel that can keep up with the changing tastes and attitudes.
VSLs offer businesses several advantages, such as shortening the sales cycle, onboarding new sales hires, educating prospects, or advertising on social media. Video can reach new customers across multiple marketing channels with a strong potential to increase conversion rates and promote brand engagement.
Don’t miss out on the power of video sales letters or explainer videos for your business. Let us create a fantastic script for your next VSL today!